I first met Phil when he conducted a street photography workshop in Miami. His generosity in giving each class member individual instruction convinced me that my relationship with Phil wouldn’t end there. I continue to find a way to get to NYC to work with him privately, and I am always learning something new. I especially appreciate how Phil is teaching me to see and work with the existing light. That as we know is the key to good photos. I also shoot with Leica, and Phil is helping me to master mycamera. No small feat.Phil is very talented as both a street photographer and instructor, a rare combo. He is very patient and guides you through the streets of NY where there is always the opportunity to capture interesting photos.
- KATHY KNIGHT
I spent a couple of days with Phil on a one to one workshop while I was in New York recently. I didn’t set out to copy his work, which I greatly admire but I did want to observe his thought process, understand how he sees in black and white, sees an image within an otherwise ordinary scene. I really enjoyed his company over the two days, it was just like going out shooting with a mate and I was learning all the time. Now that I am home and have had time to digest the information, I realise that after years of struggling with it, I think I finally get the black and white thing and have some images that I am really happy with and that I can call my own, although certainly “influenced” by Phill Penman. The other major takeaway for me and in fact possibly the biggest one was the way Phil interacted with the everyday people we met on the street, he really loves meeting, conversing with and photographing people, all walks of life, no matter how they presented, Phil had a word for everyone. Looking back I realise that's his strength, he totally respects the street and it's people, he is totally at home on the street. Keep up the great work mate and continued success.
- NOEL MCINTYRE
Phil helped to give me a new perspective on how to approach my street photography. His approach to evaluating light, shading and perspective opened up some new avenues for creativity and composition. While I would consider myself an experienced photographer, the walkabout with Phil taught me a lot. We also had a lot of fun talking and sharing some experiences about cameras, photography and life. If you have the chance, I'd highly recommend taking a workshop with Phil.
- MICHAEL HERSKOVITZ
I recently had the opportunity to spend two days with Phil Penman in his Bespoke One to One Workshop, the first private class I’ve taken with Phil. Exploring locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn, we made photos side by side, while Phil coached me in camera technique. As he explained his technique he helped me maximize the use of my Leica, clearly explaining the most efficient use of light and shadow, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, all of this in the service of helping me capture the best images I could.
Phil Penman is a supportive, kind and gracious teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed spending the days shooting alongside him. Penman is one of today’s top street photographers, with a renowned and growing reputation, and with a deep knowledge of his art and craft . Phil’s rich respect for photographic history and his enthusiasm for the creative process of photography which he shared in this workshop has left a profound impact on my own photographic process. Phil’s gentle and humanistic demeanor gives him the ability to communicate his passion for photography to others all while he makes his photographic style and technique clear and easily understood. I have been serious about photography since my teen years and I have never before had such an insightful and deeply informative experience shooting photos.
- MICHAEL LOMANACO
Ever since hearing Phil speak at a small event in NYC, I knew that attending one of his workshops would be a game changer for my own photography. His knowledge and experience of the industry is exhaustive, and his ability to navigate both the on-the-ground environment and the business one is invaluable. Being able to watch him work, see how he sees things, and get advice on how you can create your own look and voice as a photographer is a chance no one should pass up
- SCOTT TRIBBY
I did a one-on-one street photography workshop with Phil last year in New York City and loved it so much that I just did a second one with him and can’t wait to do another. Phil is a world class street photographer, but he is also a great teacher and a really good guy. If you are interested in taking your street photography to the next level I highly recommend doing a workshop with Phil.
- MIKE HAPPELI was able to take a one to one workshop with Phil, whilst I was in London.I have been using Leica M cameras for over 50 years, and had recently purchased the M11.Phil surprised me with his knowledge and expertise. But more importantly, how to keep things simple and get amazing photos.I learnt more in a 4 hour session with Phil, than all the other workshops I have ever attended
- JOHN DAVIES
I attended the “Dawn and Dusk with Phil Penman” through Leica Akademie USA in New York City, May 2022. Phil’s calm demeanor and photographic experience make him an excellent instructor for all levels of student. He quickly analyzes each person’s skill level in assessing scenes, ability to use their equipment, and comfort zones that need to be pushed to the next level. Although this is a group environment Phil makes you feel it is a “one on one” by spending independent time with each person both on the street, and in the classroom conducting image reviews. I would not hesitate to recommend this, or any other opportunity to learn with Phil Penman. It should also be noted that using Leica equipment is not mandatory even though it is hosted by Leica Akademie, although they’ll be happy to let you try or buy one!
- DARREN KEASTPhil is a fantastic photographer but an incredibly thoughtful instructor as well. Continuously through the Dusk to Dawn NYC workshop, Phil could be found checking in on all of his students to see what was capturing their eye. I really appreciated that he emphasized teaching the thought process on how to approach and capture a scene. From things as simple as collaborating with people to utilizing multiple angles, learning from Phil's approach has helped my photography. Street photography is something that I have found intimidating but feel much more confident after working with Phil. I wouldn't hesitate to sign up again.
- ELIZABETH FISHERI participated in the workshop « From dawn to dusk » in NYC. I was looking forward to this intense weekend and it highly exceeded all expectations. Phil is an excellent instructor and mentor. He spends time with everyone and shared a lot of his experience and knowledge. His feedback is very accurate and takes all participants to the next level wherever they start from. Overall, this was an inspiring weekend that opened my eyes to new dimensions.
- STÉPHANE GRACIETI had the pleasure of taking a Leica Akademia Workshop Dawn & Dusk with Phil Penman in NYC. Phil is a gentleman and a scholar when it comes to street photography. He shares his knowledge of visual storytelling and encourages his students to develop their own style of photography. I learned to think differently about subjects and how to approach a shot with various angles and vantage points all while better understanding light around me. Highly recommended for all levels of photographers.
- LARRY SCHAPSWhat caught my eye when I decided to sign up for a three day course in NYC with Phil was that he promised to improve my photography skill by 3 years in 3 days, and he did more than that. To this day everytime I go out to shoot I remember the ten or so rules of thumb that Phil taught me which upgraded my work to another level. I will no doubt go on more trips, as I know there is more to be learnt from you. And on an even more important note, nothing like spending three days with someone who actually cares about what you are getting out of it.. thanks and see you soon.
- NICHOLAS PARKESPhil's workshop helped me realize things about my own photography. Phil simply shows you how to actively see and thoroughly work your shot.
- ANDREW HENSLEYPhil is a great mentor. I asked Phil for a one-to-one workshop because I'm inspired by his photos and creativity. His teaching style is excellent and he made sure I fully understood subjects before moving on. I wasn't afraid to ask him anything and I'm extremely happy with the results. Thanks to him I have developed as a photographer and take pride in showing off my photos on my website that Phil helped to build
- KIERON BEARDI knew street photography involved plenty of walking, but with Phil I learned more in a few hours than I had thought I learned over many years. He saw things I would have never have seen without his presence. This expanded my learning and gave me a new taste for street work.
- LOUI had a 4 hour walk around with Phil early one morning in April. I am not the most advanced photographer and still had some issues with using my camera properly - Phil gave me some excellent pointers on manual focusing and have not gone back to automatic dials since! He was extremely patient and had some fantastic places to photograph. It was awesome hearing his story told in the first person as well.Can't wait to get out with him again as it was truly inspiring (almost) seeing the world through his eyes.
- JAN ROMOI had the pleasure of attending two one-on-one workshops with Phil (one online, one in-person in New York). Phil has helped me to see both the city and light as protagonists rather than simply background characters in the scene. These lessons have extended to my work beyond street photography and have helped me to grow as an artist.
- MAT MERCURI
Phil Penman is a master of street photography, he is an equally gifted mentor and teacher. His dedication and passion for his craft are infectious. He willingly and generously shares his vast knowledge, skill set and unique photographic vision with each of his students while, at the same time, encouraging them to find their own voice. Throughout his workshops, Phil engages with students of every level and provides each with unique and meaningful instruction and feedback. I have been fortunate enough to take both a group and a bespoke one on one workshop and can’t speak highly enough about both experiences.
- C STEPHANIE GLOTMAN
“Phil was recommended to me by the Leica store in NYC. I’ve attended Phil’s Leica Q class and have also had the pleasure of spending a day or two in one-on-one sessions with Phil on several different occasions. Each of my experiences with him have been worthwhile. He takes subjects that can be difficult and makes them understandable while spending time in the field where you’re put into great position for a great shot. I highly recommend Phil and look forward to reuniting with him soon”.
- HOWARD STEIN, WILMINGTON, NC
“I took a photography workshop in New York City led by Phil Penman in May, 2019 and it was a terrific experience. I learned so much about street photography from his easy teaching style and his “on the ground” experience in New York. We had plenty of time to take photos in various New York locations (for example, the streets at 5 am, Grand Central Station, DUMBO, waterfront, at times, early in the day and, at times, at night). The workshop concluded with ample time for editing and a personal review of our work by Phil. I highly recommend Phil Penman anytime as an excellent photographer and teacher”.
- LARRY VELTMAN
“Shortly before COVID I took a long weekend class with Phil in New York. This time with Phil and the class was an amazing learning experience and a true joy. Phil is an excellent, patient teacher. It is rare to find a renowned artist who is humble and truly wants people to learn and have a good time—Phil is that kind of guide. Most remarkable to me is that in our class there were professional photographers, life long hobbyists, and people relatively new to photography, and the styles and focuses of the class members was incredibly varied. Every person received personal attention and it was clear that all of us learned and benefited from Phil’s wonderful approach and his deep knowledge. “
- SCOTT BROWNING
“I recently took the Leica Akademia workshop, “Photographic Evolution with Phil Penman”. Phil delivered an incredible amount of valuable information, on a photographers workflow to marketing, in a concise and well thought out interactive manner. Through Phil sharing his personal work experiences, I’m now able to have a better vision of what my photographic journey should look like. I highly recommend Phil and this Leica Akademia workshop to anyone wanting to move their photographic endeavours to the next level. Seriously Phil, it was an excellent workshop and I left it feeling inspire to move my work forward. That was your doing!
- MARK STERLING
“I was really lucky to have Phil Penman as one of my first instructors for photography, his dedication and passion for the craft is truly infectious. The classes are well-rounded and designed to give students useful tools to improve their own photography, without implanting/forcing students to follow Phil's own photographic style or processes. I highly recommend for photographers of all levels to take his course if the intention is to push their own boundaries and discover what it takes to create a consistent and great body of work”.
- BRIAN YONG
"Inspirational. Phil's extensive editorial background and exceptional work ethics brought me a new perspective on street practices. Would recommend to photographers of any level interested in ramping up their personal marketing efforts."
- JONIC ZHEHAO ZHU
“I really learned a lot from Phil - not just creatively in terms of how to shoot better, but also editing, social media, printing and marketing. I definitely plan on taking more classes with Phil."
- PETER MENDELSON
"I want to say thanks for your leadership during our street photography workshop in Miami. Loved having a small group where each of us got to work one-on-one with you. There is no substitute for personalized training, whatever one’s skill levels. It was also enlightening to hear about how to build a following and expand the audiences for our own work. Lots of shooting time at this workshop too. You inspired us to find a worthy shot in any and all environments. Never have I so enjoyed trekking around a city in the rain! I'm a better photographer now, thanks to you."
- KAREN SWIFT
"I attended a weekend workshop for Dawn & Dusk with Phil Penman through Leica Akademie USA in September 2019. Phil explained his work flow from scouting locations to shoot, using the city as a backdrop, making the image, editing the work and creating photo series. There were several opportunities to shoot over the weekend in different locations, at dusk, dawn and at night. Phil offered one on one instruction regarding techniques, use of available light and composition as we walked around the streets of New York. He was very engaging and answered all questions with concrete steps to achieving what we wanted with respect to the type of photography we were interested in, whether it was black and white photography or shooting in color. I would highly recommend if you have an opportunity to shoot with Phil in person, to do it. It will be a great investment in your photography skills."
- CHERYL GALLOWAY
"My name is Marat Tutelman. I took one the workshops with Phil last Feb in Miami just a few month after i got my first Leica. My intention was to learn more about the Leica, learn about self managed marketing strategies for photographers, editing and what’s most important to gain more confidence on the street with my new camera. Phil has it all!!! Extremely educated about the camera! Tons of experience on the street. Professor when it comes to marketing! And on top of that Phil is a Super Duper person with lots of funny stories. Makes the whole process an enjoyable adventure into a street photography with lots of practical elements! Wether you are a rookie or a pro- highly recommend his workshop!
- MARAT TUTELMAN
GALLERYPhotos taken by Attendees of Workshops